ERNEST GIMSON (1864-1919)

School of COTSWOLDS ARTS & CRAFTS MOVEMENT (worked from 1880)

An important pair of Arts & Crafts wrought iron candlesticks designed by Ernest Gimson and attributed to the maker Alfred Bucknell

ERNEST GIMSON (1864-1919)

School of COTSWOLDS ARTS & CRAFTS MOVEMENT (worked from 1880)

An important pair of Arts & Crafts wrought iron candlesticks designed by Ernest Gimson and attributed to the maker Alfred Bucknell

England, c. 1910

Worked in wrought iron, the wide octagonal bases with broad drip pans suspended above on slender delicately knopped and chamfered stems punched and chased with stylistic, repetitive detailing, each surmounted with a shaped candle holder.

Ernest Gimson (1864-1919)
Ernest Gimson was described by the art critic Nikolaus Pevsner as “the greatest of the English architect-designers”. Born in Leicester, the son of an engineer, he had the fortune to meet William Morris who came to stay with the Gimson family in 1884 after lecturing at the Leicester Secular Society on ‘Art & Socialism’. The young Gimson impressed Morris so much, he wrote letters of introduction for him to London architects. After experience gained in the architectural practice of John Dando Sedding and then with Morris for The Society for The Protection of Ancient Buildings and now firmly part of an enthusiastic circle of young architects and designers such as William Lethaby, Alfred Powell, Detmar Blow and the brothers Ernest and Sidney Barnsley, Gimson moved in 1893 to the Cotswolds, “to live near to nature”.
Gimson and the Barnsley brothers settled near Cirencester and went into partnership, setting up a small furniture workshop there. In 1900 he formed a partnership with Ernest, with workshops and a showroom at Daneway House, Sapperton, employing cabinet makers such as Peter Waals and Harry Davoll. For the rest of his life he designed furniture and objects true to the Arts & Crafts movement, using limited machinery, skilled craftsmen and exploring the ways of the traditional crafts and buildings around them.

Alfred Bucknell
Alfred Bucknell was the son of William Bucknell, the village blacksmith at Tunley. When Ernest Gimson started designing metalwork in 1900 he used William’s expertise and took on Alfred, setting him up with a forge in the village of Sapperton. Alfred continued making handles and fittings for Gimson as well as sconces and candlesticks. After Gimson died in 1919 Alfred moved his workshop to the village of Waterlane, where with his son Norman he continued to collaborate with designers such as Peter Waals and Norman Jewson.

Provenance
Private UK collection

Height 31.00cm (12.20inches)
Width 17.50cm (6.89inches)

Ref No. D035

Sold

 Other Similiar Items